Northern Power Systems Makes Hybrid Microgrids Work
Northern Power Systems has a proven record in integrating our distributed wind turbines with solar, diesel gensets or other power sources in microgrids. Our power conversion technology would then be utilized in an energy storage application.
Microgrids are modern, small-scale versions of a centralized utility. They achieve specific local goals, such as reliability, carbon emission reduction, diversification of energy sources, and cost reduction. Microgrids function entirely on their own or in coordination with a main grid. Like the main grid, microgrids generate, distribute, and regulate the flow of electricity to consumers, but do so more locally.
We have been an integral part of the evolving microgrid market for over 40 years. Our technology has been used in microgrid projects from Alaska and Hawaii to Newfoundland and the Bahamas to Antarctica.
Here are a few reasons why NPS technology is the best choice for microgrids:
Our wind turbines and converters ensure steady voltage and no inrush current. In the real world this means your lights won’t dim, your sensitive electronics won’t be at risk, and other power sources on the grid are not stressed.
Stable energy supply
NPS technology has the ability to control reactive power independently of wind speed means reliably meeting energy demands. Power set-point control allows our wind turbines to contribute the greatest amount of energy in all operating conditions. For example, in a wind-diesel hybrid system, this means consuming less diesel fuel and less generator maintenance.
Ultra-low operations & maintenance costs
Northern Power Systems’ products have a lower cost of ownership due to our technology’s unique design. All our products are covered by the factory warranty, with an extended performance warranty as an option. We remotely monitor all our equipment via our SmartView web platform.
System Design: Microgrids
Aside from providing technology for your microgrid project, we can design the microgrid system, according to your energy needs.Northern Power Systems’ deep spectrum of experience is the leading edge technology and expertise with flexibility to partner as best for the situation:
- Overall design and configuration of equipment and materials required to meet the energy needs of the selected site,
- Appropriate selection, sizing, and configuring power system hardware for each site,
- Providing hybrid microgrid controller for local system control of the hybrid power systems,
- Bundled acquisition of power system components and subsystems configured to operate together to meet the intended application (i.e. turbine + power converter + solar, etc. as per the needs of each specific site) and integration with the hybrid microgrid controller,
- Integration with a battery bank from a qualified third-party supplier,
- Integration with existing power plant controls if technically feasible,
- Producing construction documentation and work instructions for system installation and connection with the existing power plant, including system single-line diagrams, site general arrangement drawings, and electrical termination drawings, and
- Providing engineering support for system startup and commissioning activities for each site
To discuss your next hybrid microgrid project, please fill in the form below
* These fields are required.