Location: Barre, VT or Burlington, MA
Department: Manager of Technical Accounting and Reporting
Reporting to: Vice President and Chief Accounting Officer
Northern Power Systems (TSX: NPS) is delivering innovative energy solutions as part of the smart grid and renewable energy revolution. Our global installed base of Permanent Magnet Direct Drive “PM/DD” wind turbines and grid-friendly power technology components have logged hundreds of Gigawatt-hours of operation to date, demonstrating our commitment to performance and reliability. Northern Power Systems has successfully entered the Energy Storage market, providing state-of-the-art power conversion and integrated battery energy storage solutions (BESS). We are a growing team adding entrepreneurially focused go-getters that enjoy delivering sustainable energy solutions to customers.
Reporting to the Vice President & Chief Accounting Officer, the Manager of Technical Accounting & Reporting will be responsible for reporting and analyzing the consolidated financial results of the US entity’s and foreign subsidiaries operations as well as all external reporting to the SEC. The Manager of Technical Accounting & Reporting will apply a solid understanding of US Generally Accepted Accounting Standards (US GAAP), to gather and interpret financial information effectively and form data into meaningful and concise analyses while considering a broad range of interdependent issues. This highly visible role will provide recommendations and draft position papers on complex or emerging technical accounting issues for review by the CAO, COO and Audit Committee. The Manager of Technical Accounting & Reporting also will identify areas for change and make recommendations while managing multiple demands and competing priorities. He or she will manage various accounting research and implementation projects, interim and annual impairment assessments, and other ad hoc accounting projects.
Essential Job Functions:
- The preparation and reporting of the company’s financial statements and reports to the SEC.
- Lead the evaluation and implementation efforts for new accounting standards and consideration of impacts to operating divisions.
- Prepares accounting memos to document assessments of accounting rules, certain control procedures and narratives, and the accounting for various transactions, such as revenue recognition, and other contractual arrangements.
- Responsible for all applicable revenue recognition in adherence to US GAAP guidelines
- Preparation and delivery of monthly, quarterly and year-end consolidated financial statements and notes.
- Leads the goodwill and intangible asset impairment testing process, including coordination of quarterly assessments.
- Works with the SOX/Internal Audit team and assists in maintaining and updating certain internal controls such as design effectiveness, risk mitigation, and deficiency resolution.
- Prepares and / or coordinates the company’s tax filings including but not limited to local, state & federal tax returns as well as sales & use and value add tax (VAT) returns for our US and foreign subsidiaries.
- Assists with and or manager other account functions or ad hoc projects as needed in the normal course of business.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance required
- CPA highly preferred
- 4 – 6 years of related experience, preferably including at least 3 years in a Big 4 accounting firm
- Strong understanding of GAAP, FASB codification and pronouncements, and SEC reporting requirements, as well as ability to clearly and concisely document and effectively communicate complex accounting and reporting issues
- Analytical skills including the ability to analyze complex technical accounting requirements including US GAAP and statutory requirements
- Knowledge of ERP Systems required
- Experience with revenue recognition
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong oral and written communication skills, must be able to express ideas effectively in individual and group situations, Ability to present information and communicate effectively with Senior Management
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Public company accounting experience
- Multi-national environment experience
- Manufacturing / Supply Chain company experience