Location: Barre, VT or Greater Boston Area, MA
Reporting to: President and COO
Northern Power Systems (TSX: NPS) is delivering innovative energy solutions in a changing landscape. Around the globe, our installed base of Permanent Magnet Direct Drive “PM/DD” wind turbines and grid-friendly power technology components have logged hundreds of Gigawatt-hours of operation to date, demonstrating our commitment to performance and reliability. Northern Power Systems has successfully entered the Energy Storage market, providing state-of-the-art power conversion- and integrated battery-energy storage solutions (BESS).
We are a growing team adding entrepreneurially focused, analytically engaging, go-getters that enjoy delivering sustainable energy solutions to customers.
In this highly visible role, the General Counsel will be responsible for providing legal counsel and guidance to management as well as employees and the Board of Directors as appropriate, including: protecting the company from legal action by interpreting laws and ensuring that it meets federal, state and international regulatory requirements; providing advice concerning business transactions with customers, financial institutions, shareholders, directors, officers and others; preparing or reviewing and approving as to legal form, content and sufficiency, all documents of legal nature to which the company may be a party or which otherwise affect its legal rights or obligations; working with the executive team, board, and outside counsel to structure and negotiate complex business transactions; working directly with executive, sales, services and operations teams to structure and negotiate the company’s commercial transactions with domestic and foreign customers, suppliers, and others; supporting executive team concerning corporate transactions such as capital raising and financing activities, and M&A; and evaluating, advising on and helping to manage enterprise risk, as well as other corporate functions such as human resources, facilities, and intellectual property.
- Securities Law and Equity – including review and/or creation and filing of required SEC and/or Canadian reports and related documents; lead annual proxy statement and annual shareholder meeting preparation process;
- Equity Administration – liaise with transfer agent; monitor, maintain and administer company’s cap table, shareholder documentation, stock option grants and related agreements, employee stock option exercises, and related reporting requirements
- Corporate Governance/Compliance – serve as Secretary to Board of Directors and support Secretary by advising on or managing relevant corporate governance matters; draft, review and/or help implement corporate compliance programs and training in compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley and equivalent Canadian requirements
- Complex Transactions – support executive team, board and outside counsel with complex transactions, including license agreements, capital raising and other financing transactions, M&A, strategic partnering arrangements, etc.
- Commercial Contracts – work closely with domestic and international business units on legal issues relating to sales and operations, contracts, and general commercial business matters and draft and negotiate all commercial contracts (including product sales agreements, services agreements, license agreements, consulting agreements, and non-disclosure agreements)
- Intellectual Property – management of an extensive domestic and international patent and trademark portfolio and associated strategy, working with engineering team
- Disclosure – review press releases, marketing materials, website content and other corporate disclosures to ensure accuracy and compliance with legal requirements and regulations
- Management of Outside Counsel – select and manage outside counsel as needed for areas of expertise outside company competency
- International Operations – ensure that company’s foreign operations are established and operate in compliance with applicable law and business requirements
- Employment/Labor – oversight of employee-related disputes and litigation; review and implementation of employment policies and practices; advise and support Human Resources Director concerning legal aspects of employment actions, decisions, and policies
- Insurance Risk Management – co-lead management of corporate insurance requirements, including evaluation of coverage needs/limits, preparation of insurance applications, and administration of insurance-related claims
- Other Responsibilities
- Management of Legal Department, including preparation of departmental budget
- Responsible for protecting the company’s legal interests and maintaining its operations within the scope of applicable law
- Consults with and advises senior management on very complex or highly critical issues
- Acts as resource to business units and employees on legal and other business matters, with open door policy so that employees feel comfortable seeking legal advice
- Files and responds to litigation and disputes, and manages outside counsel for such actions
- Prepare and continuously review and improve standard form agreements and legal policies and procedures
- 10+ years of experience, preferably with technology company and/or law firm in technology-related practice
- Excellent judgment from years of experience that includes advising Boards of Directors, management teams and other stakeholders
- Analytical thinker with ability to plan, anticipate and evaluate systematically, yet act quickly and decisively
- Experience in structuring, drafting and negotiating complex business transactions
- Experience with international operations and business transactions
- Excellent negotiating skills and general business acumen
- Ability to make sound decisions, take independent action and juggle multiple transactions in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional writing, analytical and communication skills
- Flexible, roll-up-sleeves approach
- Displays high standards of ethical conduct; exhibits honesty and integrity
- Juris Doctor degree
- Prior energy industry experience a plus
We offer a competitive benefits package to full-time employees, including health, dental and life insurance, a 401(k) match, and more. To learn more, visit http://www.northernpower.com.
Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we are not able to respond personally to every application. However, we do review every resume and will contact you if we think there is a possible fit for you.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.