Location: Barre, Vermont
Department: Power Systems Team
Northern Power Systems (TSX: NPS) is delivering innovative energy solutions in a changing landscape. Around the globe, our installed base of Permanent Magnet Direct Drive “PM/DD” wind turbines and grid-friendly power technology components have logged hundreds of Gigawatt-hours of operation to date, demonstrating our commitment to performance and reliability. Northern Power Systems has successfully entered the Energy Storage market, providing state-of-the-art power conversion- and integrated battery-energy storage solutions (BESS).
We are expanding our engineering department and have an exciting opportunity for an experienced electrical engineer. The position requires a well-rounded, disciplined engineer who works well in a team environment. We seek creative thinkers with strong leadership qualities who are excited about working on cutting edge renewable and power system technologies.
In this role you will contribute to both power converter product development and to overall power system design, in applications like microgrids, wind diesel hybrid power systems, battery energy storage, and wind turbine products. You will work closely with our Senior Engineers to set technical performance objectives, architectural requirements and to develop system level design documents. This position will require an understanding of power systems and power electronics, as well as a disciplined approach to engineering documentation and communications.
- Product design, including bill of materials creation and component selection
- Power system design, modeling, analysis and testing
- Power converter application specification
- Review requirements and define power system architectures
- Generation of design documentation for power converter applications
- Lead control system design, modeling, analysis and testing efforts
- Review and approve engineering design documentation for adherence to performance and design requirements
- Provide application engineering support during sales process
- Provide commissioning and testing assistance
- Write technical reports
- Coordinate small teams of engineers and technicians on projects
- BS degree in Electrical or Power Systems Engineering and five years of experience with power systems and power electronic converters, or MS degree and two years of experience
- Understanding of power system control
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of system level modeling and controls of power converters and rotating machines
- Experience with PLC software design and development
- Discipline to work within a quality system
- Ability to plan and execute technical design projects
- Ability to work in a team environment on multiple projects at the same time
- Ability to learn new concepts quickly
- Good written and verbal communications skills
- Design experience with power converters in the 50kW to 3000kW power range
- Strong knowledge of power system and power converter protection
- Experience with Matlab/Simulink modeling of power systems and power electronics converters
- Experience with distributed generation interconnect (IEEE1547)
- Experience with certification of power electronics (CE, UL1741, IEC 62477)
- Ability to plan and execute on assigned projects (schedule, budget, risk assessment, vendor relations, change management)
- Experience supporting Project Management with planning and execution.